2019 Schedule & Logistics
2019 Legislative Session starts Jan 8; adjourns May 20.
If you are coming from out-of-town, the closest hotel to the Capitol Complex is the Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge. You can walk to the Capitol. It does have a government rate. http://bit.ly/2yMEZTT
You make your own appointments with your legislators or join a group from you region. When your appointments are made, let us know who you are visiting. Find Who Represents You.
February 25 Briefing Capitol Room 316
- Briefing on the issues at 5:00pm
- Legislators, their staff, and our advocates are all invited to an informal meet and greet in Room 316 at the Capitol. Light refreshments will be served and you can have your photo taken to be turned into a READ poster. Please be sure to personally invite your representatives to this event via a phone call or email, even if you cannot attend.
If you will be at the briefing on February 25, we are arranging dinner outings near The Capitol. Everyone is welcome to join a group, but please sign up so we can make reservations. Sign up.
February 26 L'Etoile du Nord (B15 in State Capitol)
- Registration at 8:30
- Briefing at 9:00
- Coffee & treats at morning briefing in L’Etoile du Nord
- You are on your own for lunch on February 26.
- There is a cafeteria in the lower of the MnDOT building (just south of the State Office Building.) https://mn.gov/admin/government/buildings-grounds/building-management/buildings/mnsenate.jsp
- The Capitol has the Rathskeller Café in the basement. Vending machines near the café offer cold drinks and snacks. http://www.mnhs.org/capitol/visit/dining
- There are other restaurants within walking distance. http://bit.ly/2hfAG8c
- The blog Heavy Table visited every restaurant on the Green Line. Some are walking distance or a quick train ride from the Capitol. http://heavytable.com/category/stories/green-line-checklist/
Library Fair in L’Etoile Du Nord 10-2pm
2019 is the second year for the Library Fair. Various library systems & associations will be exhibiting about all the services Minnesotans can access via their library.
Legislators, their staff, and our advocates are all invited to an informal meet and greet in Room 316 at the Capitol between 1:30 & 4:00. Light refreshments will be served and everyone can have their photo taken to be turned into a READ poster. Please be sure to personally invite your representatives to this event via a phone call or email, even if you cannot attend. They can bring their own favorite book/document or use ones we will have on hand.
Take photos & share on social media. Legislators are usually very happy to have their photos taken with constituents! You can designate a group member as the photographer or ask the legislative aide. Please share your photos & other items on social media using the hashtag #MNLibLegDay. You can email photos during the day or after to LegWorkMLA@gmail.com
Look at the parking maps! http://www.mnhs.org/capitol/visit/directions
- State Office Building https://mn.gov/admin/government/buildings-grounds/building-management/buildings/sob.jsp
- Minnesota Senate Building https://mn.gov/admin/government/buildings-grounds/building-management/buildings/mnsenate.jsp
There are three (3) Light Rail stations located in the Capitol Complex including the Rice Street Station, just west of the State Capitol Building.
If you have time, free tours of the (beautifully restored) Capitol leave at the top of the hour from 10am-2pm. Tours are 45 minutes. The tours begin at the Capitol Information & Tour Center. No reservation needed. http://www.mnhs.org/capitol/activities/tours