The LegWork Committee sponsored a contest for Minnesota-focused Because Statements, ending Feb. 2, 2018. A spin-off of the ALA Libraries Transform Initiative, library supporters were asked to submit statements about why Minnesota Libraries transform, highlighting the services and value in all types of libraries (public, academic, school, government, and others).
We had over 70 submissions, shared below and in this document. The statements are organized into 4 categories: Uniquely Minnesota, General (applicable to all type of libraries), School Libraries, and Public Libraries. We use the Minnesota Libraries Transform Because... statements when we advocate for libraries at the Capitol. Feel free to also use them on social media with the hashtag #mnlibrariestransform. You can also create your own unique Because poster about your library by using ALA-provided poster templates. All you need is Adobe Reader! Look for the Because Statements section on this webpage to learn more. Thanks to all who shared their creativity in the contest.
Because Statements for Social Media
We created social media shareable graphics with the uniquely Minnesota Because statements. Share these on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter! All files are in .png format.
For easy access from your phone to share on social media, download all of them from this folder, or individually by clicking on the links below.
Minnesota Libraries Transform:
- Because the Answers Aren't Always Blowin' in the Wind. (yellow)
- Because every night owl needs a good book. (yellow)
- Because checking out the latest juicy celebrity tell-all is the real hot dish. (light blue)
- Because a good book can salvage a bad fishing trip. (light blue)
- Because there's no windchill factor inside a library. (green)
- Because we're a land of way more than 10,000 stories. (green)
- Because libraries prepare you for a know emergency. (dark blue)
- Because we're not just playing Minnesota Nice; all are welcome in the library. (dark blue)
- Because hotdish recipes cookbooks take up a whole shelf. (dark blue)
- Because libraries provide a safe warm space for ideas to germinate and blossom. (purple)
- Because children need stories about a blue ox, tall trees, and one giant lumberjack. (purple)
- Because having access to materials in Hmong, German, Somali, and Spanish can make a world of difference. (red)
- Because we may be the Land of 10,000 lakes but we are really the land of over 3.5 million questions answered in public libraries. (red)
- Because when schools close early due to icy roads, you want access to thousands of books and movies. (yellow)
- Because it is Minnesota Nice to find great new books! (red)
- Because you can't eat the same hot dish every night. (purple)
- Because there are 10,000 opportunities for lakeside reading. (light blue)
- Because libraries are a refuge when the world is stormy. (dark blue)
- Because autopilot tractors let you listen while you work. (green)
- Because each reader is as unique as a snowflake. (purple)
- Because you want to stay connected and still be able to afford your heat bill. (yellow)
- Because the winter's quiet darkness is the perfect backdrop for a terrifying read. (purple)
- Because winter, snow, and bitter cold do not deter information and knowledge. (dark blue)
- Because Minnesota libraries are yah, real good now, you’re darn tootin’. (red)
- Because a trip to the lake requires audio books, magazines, and a sizzling summer read. (green)
- Because baby, it's cold outside - and there's a warm world of books inside! (light blue)
Winners of the Because Statement Contest
The MLA+ITEM LegWork Committee members voted to choose the winners. The winners each received a poster version of their statement. Below are PDF and JPEG versions of the the winning Because statements with their authors. So fun!
Because a Good Book Can Salvage a Bad Fishing Trip
Because Checking Out the Latest Juicy Celebrity Tell-All is the Real Hot Dish
Because There are 10,000 Opportunities for Lakeside Reading
You can download templates (Avery 22804) to print the Uniquely Minnesota Because stickers for use in your library. There are two pages of labels. Each page has an editable Word template and a PDF version. Page 1 PDF - Page 2 PDF - Page 1 Word - Page 2 Word As with all things that require precision in printing, be sure to test on plain paper & adjust the templates for your computer & printer.