2018 Key Messages
2018 Key Messages
You can find the complete MLA/ITEM Platform on the Legislative Documents page. This is a quick summary of what we want the message to our legislators to include.
RLBSS & Multi-type Funding Bill
HF 1382 Rep. Bud Nornes (R, 8A) [Bill details]
SF 1033 Sen. Gary Dahms (R, 16 ) [Bill details]
HF 1484 Rep. Jeff Howe, (R, 13A) [Bill details]
SF 2218 Sen. Bill Ingebrigtson) (R, 8) [Bill details]
School Librarians Grant Pool
HF 2698 Rep Mary Kunesh-Podein (DFL, 41B) [Bill details]
The Minnesota Library Association (MLA) and the Information and Technology Educators of Minnesota (ITEM) support state funding for the following programs that sustain and expand library services in Minnesota:
1. Increase Basic Funding for All Library Systems
- Regional Library Basic System Support (RLBSS): increased funding from $13.57 million to $16.57 million annually with a corresponding formula change to provide stable funding for all regional public library systems across the state. (M.S.134.20)
- Multicounty Multitype Library Support: increased funding from $1.3 million to $2 million annually to support communication, resource sharing, staff development, and collaborative programming connecting all types of Minnesota libraries. (M.S. 134.351)
- If passed this would be the first increase in library system funding since state fiscal year 2009.
2. Bonding for Public Library Construction
- MLA and ITEM support the appropriation of $10 million over the 2017-18 biennium for construction and remodeling of public library buildings through the State’s currently authorized matching program (M.S. 134.45)
3. School Librarians Grant Pool ( HF2698)
- MLA and ITEM support funding a grant pool to enable school districts to increase access to licensed library media specialist in districts which face a shortage of licensed media staff.